Wednesday, May 11, 2011

A night on the floor

I'm going through my normal morning routine, reading the paper, eating a bowl of cereal and having a cup of coffee.  There are normal noises in the house for this time: Nana's oxygen enricher, coffee pot making noises, refrigerator running, that kind of stuff.  I hear a noise coming from down the hall leading to Nana's room.  Our cat gets put to bed in our downstairs bathroom at night, so it could just be her starting to make her "let me out" noises.  But it doesn't sound right.

I went upstairs to get Laura, and encounter my daughter who's getting ready for work. "I think I heard Nana" she says with a nervous voice.  Okay, that confirms it..something happened.  I get Laura and she goes in to investigate.

She finds Nana sitting on the floor between her bed and her bookcase.  Nana had gotten up sometime during the night to use the bedside commode and stumbled.  She couldn't reach her cell phone which was on the other side of her bed.  She couldn't call out loud enough for us to hear.  So she pulled the covers off her bed and made a little nest out of it.

Needless to say, she's been pretty sore today and moving slowly having sat on the floor for who knows how long.

And the odd thing?  Her oxygen cannula was off and placed by a box of tissues on the other side of the bed.  She spent the night on the floor, wrapped up in blankets without oxygen.

I sure hope this doesn't happen again.

No comments:

Post a Comment