Wednesday, April 6, 2011

A fairly rough night

Last night / this morning was pretty rough.  Nana was using her little walker to get into her bedroom when her legs decided to no longer support her.  She had a slow speed fall just at the door to her room.  Laura was there to keep her from hitting the sharp corner on a book case.  Nothing was broken, but she did bruise herself on her arm.  This all happened about midnight.

With some help from my son, we got Nana sitting on the seat of her larger walker.  She was pretty tired, and not terribly pleased that she fell.  Laura and I were very puzzled about why her legs gave out.  Laura thought of several culprits: a side effect from one of her medications, her low blood pressure, or a sodium imbalance due to the fluid that's still seeping from the dialysis catheter incision in her leg.

Laura and I were discussing what to do given that Nana has an appointment with Dr. M later today.  I thought that if it were an imbalance or side effect, that might clear up (or change) by the time the appointment rolls around.  Laura went to talk to Nana about going to the ER, and they decided to go.  So about 1:30 or so in the morning, Laura drove Nana over to the ER.

I haven't had much of a chance to speak with Laura about what transpired at the ER as they got home a little after 7am.  When I got downstairs today, Nana was sleeping and Laura was ready to go take a nap as she'd been up all night.  She did tell me they didn't find anything.

I guess they now have something to talk about with Dr. M...

1 comment:

  1. I am so glad that Kay is home and doing better. Hope there have been no more falls. Is the Physical Therapist helping or is it too soon to tell? Give her my love.
    Love and Prayers
    Aunt Pat

    ReplyDelete